The Berger Institute is Claremont McKenna College’s home for research and programming on contemporary social issues. The Berger Institute produces and disseminates high quality research with implications for policy, practical applications and theory.
Our central theme for research and programming How We Thrive. This means our research is focused on understanding the individual and social factors that impact how children develop, how families thrive, and how people navigate the major transitions and milestones in life. Our programming will put this understanding into use by helping students develop and cultivate the skills necessary for successful adaptation in our rapidly changing society.
We strive to understand how to nurture the well-being of individuals from a wide range of social, economic, demographic background (including gender, culture, race, age), the changing nature of gender and family roles, and understanding the demographic, technological, financial, and political changes impacting our society today.
Your help is essential to our success! Your contribution directly impacts our ability to create programs and experiences that can inspire students to think about these important issues. The students we work with will carry these issues forward as they begin careers influencing and developing corporate or governmental policy. Please know that your gift will be spent wisely on these timely—and timeless—issues. Will you please join our growing family of supporters?
Your Support Matters
“I joined the Berger Institute as a senior, and it is through the invaluable experience that I received being a research assistant and later the research coordinator at the lab that has led me to pursue a doctoral degree in developmental psychology today. Professor Doan was instrumental in ensuring that I applied to graduate school, equipped with the skills necessary for the program. During my time at Berger, I had opportunities to create a behavioral coding scheme, attend and present at conferences, write publishable papers, and handle managerial tasks. I am deeply grateful for Professor Doan’s mentorship, and for the support and encouragement of the team at Berger.”
-Shruthi, CMC ’18
Your gift of:
- $5,000 will sponsor a student summer research fellowship or summer internship.
- $3,000 will sponsor a student independent study project.
- $2,000 will sponsor an athenaeum speaker and luncheon.
- $1,000 will sponsor a student trip to a national conference to present their independent study project or thesis.
Larger gifts will allow us to transform our research program and impact our conferences and programming.
- $10,000 will co-sponsor a day long workshop or support for two student managers to develop CMC centric programming.
- $25,000 will sponsor keynote speakers, two-day long conferences and workshops for students, faculty, staff and community members.
- $50,000 will sponsor a small director led research project that will lead to opportunities for our students to engage in cutting-edge research and to presentations at local and national conferences.
- $100,000 will sponsor a multi-year Director led research project (see above), involvement of the donor on specific research questions and approach. These projects are expected to lead to publications, public blog posts, and national and international opportunities for conference presentations by students and faculty.
1) Use our secure online gift form: Give Online Now
2) Call the College’s toll-free number: 800-GIVE-2-CMC
3) Mail your gift to:
Associate Director of Institute Relations
Claremont McKenna College
400 N. Claremont Blvd.
Claremont, CA 91711